Subject: Re: Question to those with the longest experience
From: Jean Michel Pennetier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 May 2017 13:33:35 +0200

On April 30th 1985, I had a conversation in Parma with an american opera buff on his eighties. Kraus was singing Roméo (you can find a poor DVD of the evening). This guy considered Bjorling as the best Roméo he has ever heard and wanted to listen to Kraus for the first time. I remember his favourite soprano was Elizabeth Rethberg. In his youth, he had the opportunity to listen to Toscanini in Salzurg : there was no problem to get last minute tickets in thoses days, he said. He told me that Bjorling voice was very well focused but not very big. He was a perfect Roméo or Faust, but the voice was to light for heavier part such as Mario. As Manrico, the radio recordings were flattering. He did enjoy Kraus very much that night and agree he was too a terrific Roméo.

Jean-Michel Pennetier.