Subject: Re: SIRIUS OFFERINGS May 22-28, 2017
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 May 2017 13:18:29 -0400

I can only speak about the Srius service that I use which is the Internet (non-radio, non-car service.

At present, the cut off period is four hours, at which time to you get a silent, "Are you still listening" message, which remain up for some time (hours). If you press "yes" the program you were listen9ing to starts again at the place where it previously stopped.

Previously (a few years), after 90 minutes you would get a loud beep followed by the "Are you sti8ll listening". If you did not respond within 90 seconds, you would be disconnected. There were three software developers that developed programs to defeat this system. But each time such a program was developed, Sirius would assign engineers to defeat it. Then the developers would modify their porograms to defeat Sirius again. After five or more years of this type of battle, all of the outside engineers got tired and stop trying to defeat the Sirius system. The last hold-out had four of his programs negated by Sirius and stated that he couldn't waste further time on what was a pro-bono effort. I cancelled my Serius subscription at that time and did not return until about a year ago when I found out that the Internet service no loner had the 90 minute cut off.

Sirius also improved its service by now offering a delayed start option when you log on. When you do so, Sirius automatically broadcastrs the program from the start with your having the option to instead go "live" So if you tune in to a historic broadcast of Siegfried (for example) when the broadcast is two hours into the broadcast, it still starts you at the start of Act 1.

The only exception to the above is the live Met broadcasts. In such instance, Sirius only goes back to the start of the Act that you are tuning into. So, for example if you tune in to Act 1 of Tosca, you will get Act 1 from the start. But, if you tune in while Act 2 is playing, the system will only send you back to the start of At 2 and not to the start of the opera.

There is an exception to the above, usually only late night after midnight. Some times (not often) the four hour rule does not apply and you can listen, uninterrupted, for several hours.

Again, the above is my experience with the Sirius Internet service.

Best from Boston,
Ray Gouin