Subject: Re: Dialogues of the Carmelites
From: David Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 May 2017 22:51:52 -0400

Crespin's own English was heavily accented, but I remember an interview in
which she said she far preferred doing Mme. de Croissy in English, for one
particular reason: in the delirium scene, when she declares her face feels
like a wax mask that she wants to tear off "with my nails," it was
Crespin's view that the sharp English work "nails" put the character's
anguish across the footlights better than the soft French "ongles."

An interesting example of finding musical-dramatic value in language.

-David Wagner