Subject: Re: opera on old media (was Re: Boheme in English)
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 May 2017 21:42:14 -0400

The 45 rpm format was developed by RCA Victor, which did release complete operas on 45 sets. I think the Rigoletto recording with Jan Peerce was on 14 disks. RCA eventually gave in and accepted the LP format, but there was a period when they would simultaneously release recordings on 78s, 45s, and LPs.

The length of an individual disk is a function of how closely spaced the grooves are, which is determined by the compression and quality of the sound. Later 45 rpm EP disks would often have ten minutes per side, but the earlier disks were probably up to around 5 minutes per side.