Subject: Re: Boheme in English
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 May 2017 11:23:27 -0400

I generally agree. Even if I don't understand the language at all, I feel that the color and sound values of the language are as intrinsic to opera as the orchestration. It's particularly common practice to perform comedies in the vernacular, but I find that works like Rossini's Barbieri and Verdi's Falstaff (despite its English origins) really suffer when missing the bite and fluidity of the Italian language.

Like others, however, I can recall some of the most riveting performances in my experience as being ones translated into English. One was a San Francisco "Katya Kabanova" with Elisabeth Söderström and Beverly Wolf in which every word was intelligible and expressive and in which the singers were able to convince us that it was meant to be heard this way.

Then there's the question of songs written to a translated text. I've known people who feel Tchaikovsky's setting of Goethe's Mignon "Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt" is appalling in Russian. I disagree, but hearing Janet Baker sing the Schubert song "Was ist Sylvia?" in Shakespeare's English was a revelation.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad