Subject: Re: La Scala
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 May 2017 10:05:05 -0400

My old, now 30 years departed, friend Bernie, born in 1900, had been going to the opera since his early teens and could recount detailed stories of performances by Caruso, Ponselle, Farrar, etc.

He thought Callas was an extraordinary talent but didn't think much of her as an actress. He felt her actual great acting was all through the voice and music. In her stage deportment, he found her hammy and not credible. When I mentioned her as having a reputation for being a great singing actress, he strongly disagreed. He told me that the great singing actor of his experience was Chaliapin but that he felt the truly great singing actresses were Frida Leider and Kerstin Thorborg.

I had no way to validate the opinion but I found his other general judgements spot on.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad