Subject: Dialogues of the Carmelites
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 May 2017 09:40:04 -0400

It's my understanding that Poulenc wanted it performed
in the "vernacular" and so it was at its World Premiere
at La Scala Idia, I much preferred it in English, as it was
heard in its Met premiere, over later revivals in French.
The roar at the final curtain on the occasion of its first
presentation was deafening, and for good reason.

Curiously, and most ironically, the clearest English
diction was that of Regine Crespin, who gave one of the
defining performances of my lifetime as Madame de Croissy.
It was magnificent! But in truth, it was one of the few truly
great ensembles in my experience; there were no weak
links. Memories!

Eniugh! ;-)

Bob