Subject: Re: Boheme in English
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 May 2017 07:39:07 -0500

Probably Heinrich Schlusnus, Erna Berger and Helge Rosvaenge, conducted by Robert Heger, 1944.

Schlusnus, whom I consider to be one of the great baritones of the 20th century, was highly regarded as a Verdian, mostly (if not entirely) in German.

From Wikipedia:

During his highly acclaimed tenure at Berlin, Schlusnus established himself as Germany's greatest performer of Verdi <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Verdi>'s baritone roles and, according to most critics, no subsequent German-speaking baritone has matched his supremacy in this field. Schlusnus excelled in the lighter Wagnerian <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Wagner> parts, too, and in operatic works by other German composers.
Furthermore, Schlusnus earned critical renown as a concert artist and lieder <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lied> singer despite facing stiff competition on the recital platform (and the operatic stage) from such outstanding rival baritones as Herbert Janssen <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Janssen>, Willi Domgraf-Fassbaender <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willi_Domgraf-Fassbaender>, Gerhard Hüsch <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_H%C3%BCsch>, Karl Hammes, Rudolf Bockelmann <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Bockelmann> and Karl Schmitt-Walter <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Schmitt-Walter>. As an interpreter of lieder <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lied>, he often performed with the German pianists Franz Rupp <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Rupp> and Sebastian Peschko <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Peschko>.

***

Kurt Youngmann

> On May 21, 2017, at 7:03 AM, Don <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> When 45s were all the rage(short lived for sure) I found a
> Rigoletto in German although I cannot remember who the singers were.

Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue. - Robert King Merton, sociologist (1910-2003)