Subject: opera in English at the Met
From: S&R Pinsker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 May 2017 23:28:05 -0400

Bing inherited one production in English, the Magic Flute with the Martin
text, and it is a better translation than the one now in use.
Surprised that no one has mentioned Fledermaus, which was a great
success.
Boris and Onegin came to us in English and Johnson had introduced
Khovantchina in English.

Pre-Bing, Boris was presented in the Rimsky-Korsakov edition with a very
good Italian text. Chaliapin sang it in Russian as did Kipnis. There were
some snide complaints from White Russian emigreees in New York about the
Czar of all the Russians having a Ukranian, Yiddish accent!

If I recall, there was a questionnaire included in The program for the English
language Boheme performances which came back overwhelmingly negative.
Did he really sing, "but I'm the kind of poet, who has to let you know it"?

What have I omitted? Of course, Cost in which every word came across
clearly.

Bob P