Subject: Re: La Scala
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 May 2017 22:15:40 +0000

Absolutely. When in Milan, do as the Milanese do. I was just at La Scala to review the DiDonato SEMIRAMIDE a month or two ago. It is not like the 50s, but people do dress up. More broadly, Italy is a country where--at appropriate moments, and attending La Scala is such a moment--people take care of their appearance and note how others look. More subtly, they view this as constitutive of a particular common communal culture or identity. Of course they will not throw you out for wearing down-market clothes, but you should be aware that it degrades, ever so slightly, a particular local common tradition and experience that is of importance to many others around you. It's a bit like if you attend someone's wedding., funeral or graduation in the US underdressed, or show bring a significant other to meet your grandparents dressed skimpily: of course you can do so and they will not deny your seat at dinner. But many might consider it disrespectful to others and to the occasion.

Andrew Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ