Subject: Re: La Scala
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 May 2017 12:07:05 -0400

Based on my experiences as a tourist in Europe, though the locals dress up to show off their money and status, there are always tourists who have neither, but wish to have the experience of a magnificent house like the Scala or La Fenice and see a performance there.  I usually take a nice outfit with me for these occasions, but it is harder for men, since a jacket takes up a lot of room in a carry-on suitcase.  I was at La Scala for a recital last summer, and some people were dressed up, but there were plenty  who were not. Of course it was not an opera production.  The reason the dress code is on the ticket is to remind people not to show up in shorts and t shirts, but if you don’t wish to travel with a suit jacket, a tie will do the job. And they will not throw you out either if you don’t wear a tie.  I will never forget our experience in Frankfurt when my husband and I were the guests of my brother who lived there at the time, and he took us to see Forza…. We had little money and spent several weeks in Europe, so a suit was not one of our priorities when packing;  though I had a long cotton summer dress with me which almost passed, but my husband had neither jacket nor tie, so we told him not to worry, and he wore a nice shirt and a light sweater.  Well, at the Frankfurt Opera, at least at that time (45 years ago) during intermission the auditorium empties, and the entire audience walks around in a circle in the enormous foyer, and everyone stares at everyone else and what they are wearing. My husband was the only person not wearing a suit and a tie, and they never stopped staring at him.  But he survived the experience, and we had a beautiful opera performance to remember. In other words, take what you can, wear what you like, and don’t worry about the Milanesi.  You wont meet them again…
Kati