Subject: Re: La Scala
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 May 2017 11:35:47 -0400

Hi, Henry and Listers :

Based upon my experience at Venice’s La Fenice two weeks ago — it can’t be very
different from La Scala — I would say a jacket and tie would be “de rigueur.”  All the men
were wearing coats and ties, including myself.  The days before the performance I
happened to see in a shoe-shop window in the Strada Nuova a beautiful pair of elegant
suede shoes that exactly matched the color of my jacket, so I just *had* to have them.  I
am glad I made the extra effort  because the audience members were extremely stylishly
dressed, not “bling,” but with understated, dignified elegance.  I could tell their clothes
were of very high quality.  I did not feel out of place in my nice duds and spiffy Italian
shoes.

Milan is perhaps the world’s capital of style and fashion these days.  May Milanesi have
lots of money and like to show off their beautiful clothes.  I think you would stick out in
anything other than a suit and tie.  My last experience at La Scala dates back to 35 years
ago, and back then people were very well dressed indeed.  My recent experience at La
Fenice leads me to believe that that is still the case.

Besides, you will be attending one of the most beautiful and elegant theaters in the world.
(Although personally I think La Fenice, albeit much smaller, is more beautiful than La
Scala.)  Wouldn’t you want to do honor to your surroundings, to your fellow audience
members, and to the performers by dressing up as well as you can?  Remember, you will
be in someone else’s country, and you don’t want to offend your hosts by dressing down.

BTW, you haven’t told us what you will be seeing, or who will be singing.  Inquiring minds
want to know.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort