Subject: Re: Merrill's Per me giunto
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 May 2017 06:29:45 -0400

On Fri, 19 May 2017 09:49:56 -0400, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't think you are being fair to Bing.  The cuts in Forza, while unfortunate,  were not
unusual
>in Germany at that time (where Bing would have become familiar with the opera) and
were
>probably made by the conductor, Fritz Stiedry, in consultation with Bing and the director,
>Eugene Berman.  As for Arabella, it was completely unknown to Met audiences at the
time, as
>well as being a very text-heavy opera, and no doubt was done in English to make it
more
>accessible and to ensure its success.  The Met's revival of "Cosi fan tutte" in the early
50s
>was also done in English, probably for the same reasons.

Good points. Also, the misplaced overture happened pre-Bing: Checking the archives,
three different reviews of 1943 performances under Bruno Walter mention it, as does a
review of a 1927 performance conducted by Vincenzo Bellezza.

The really puzzling opera-in-English experiment was a Boheme that only lasted a single
season. Especially in pre-title days, Arabella, which had never been done in the U.S.
before, made perfect sense, as did Cosi, Wozzeck, and the Russian operas. Which isn't to
say I'm not glad they're done in the original nowadays.