Subject: Re: More Zinka
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 May 2017 21:28:04 -0700

Could be limited time but also could well be the opposite problem. Most of these recordings were made with the Rome Opera orchestra - notoriously bad at playing in tune or playing together much less both at the same time. So, no telling how many retakes she and the other singers had to make until the orchestra got it right.

Speaking of "Forza" Leonora, I actually liked Price better in this role in her later career. The voice was huskier and more coarse, but bigger and fuller, particularly on top.

I've seen a number of sopranos in that opera but two who really stood out for me were Anna Tomowa-Sintow singing, at least the night I heard her, like the second coming of Ponselle and, two years ago, Anja Harteros sounding like she'd listened very carefully to Zinka.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad