Subject: More Zinka
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 May 2017 00:08:25 -0400

I never understood why they let Zinka let out horrendous high C's on the
RCA Tosca,Ballo exc.(same as the Anderson debut perf.)and Aida...Maybe they
had limited time...but just awful....
The 1958 CG Live Tosca w.Corelli is fine...but in the 50's, Zinka's C's were
problematical.
I was never thrilled in the 40's....Vibrato in the tone.  Her voice became
sensational from the 50's, but the top C was hit or miss.
Greatest example pf the Zinka art is the Ernani 1956 last tro and the  "In
mia man" 1954 w.Penno....but the arias in those operas were problematical.
Rememb er, I can "play her career" in my head.

As to Price, the voice is souped on records or live tapes...It was too small
on top and I never considered her a true Verdi soprano..although the Patria
Mia and the
D'amor sull'ali were superb..because they are essentially lyric...but when
she indulged in her unbearable qualities of singing "gospel"...I felt it was
a joke.....I was never a fan.
    Funny how a "flawed voice" like Zinka in the 50's...and my adored Moedl
can still surmount the problems and become favorites...or Magda,with an old
voice....I could listen to forever..same with Scotto...who now goes to the
top of the list after trashing her...... Flawed voices  THRILL...but the
generic sopranos olf today are often dull.