Subject: Re: Happy Birthday, my Zinka (1906)
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 May 2017 20:53:26 +0000

My favorite live Leonora was Price with Bergonzi and Siepi. It is on You Tube. The great duet with she and Siepi is fabulous! Carlo sings his big aria better than any other great tenor of my time, IMHO. One season I saw Corelli, Domingo and Bergonzi as Alvaro and thought that, overall, Carlo was the best of the three.Tebaldi with Christoff on dvd is wonderful as well, probably Tebaldi's greatest Verdi role and one of the best performances of her career.  Gencer, somewhat to my surprise is wonderful as Lenora. On the You Tube live recording, with Bergonzi, her voice sounds nearly as beautiful as Tebaldi or Price. Were my ears deceiving me? Never saw Milanov, but her Pace Pace recordings are gorgeous. No doubt young Callas would be exciting and sound very good as Leonora, but I prefer a more beautiful sound that Maria was able to produce for certain roles. Still, I would have loved to have see Maria in any role, in her prime.  Variety is the spice of life!