Subject: Re: Happy Birthday, my Zinka (1906)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 May 2017 15:11:59 -0400

Those are some of the loveliest sounds ever to issue from a soprano's throat.

But if you want to hear a rendition of that aria that lays bare Leonora's emotional anguish and
tears your heart out, listen to Callas on her complete "Forza" recording.  She doesn't have
Milanov's vocal lushness.  But the dramatic truth is profound.  (Just listen to "In mezzo a
tanto, a tanto duol!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClMRAlRYk4

Two kinds of beauty.  I would not want to be without either.  But if I want the drama, I will go
with Callas, vocal warts and all.

MDW