Re: Happy Birthday, my Zinka (1906)

"Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>

Max D. Winter

Wed, 17 May 2017 15:47:01 -0400

text/plain

Bob Rideout wrote:

"I think I am a minority of one who considers Callas' "Forza" the greatest
performance of that role I've ever heard."

I would join you in that to make a minority of two.

Although I have to say that Milanov at her best (please note the qualifier!) would run Callas a
very close second. Milanov did not have Callas' dramatic projection and profound sense of
identification with the character - which, let us not forget, Callas sang many times on stage
early in her career. But Milanov was not negligible dramatically. Listening to her live
performances, I always get the impression that Milanov had a strong emotional empathy with
the "Forza" Leonora and Maddalena in "Andrea Chenier" that made her performances of those
roles very moving.

MDW