Subject: Re: Vive la France
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 May 2017 09:53:17 -0700

I'm not so sure they gave us a lesson in true democracy.  Our systems are a
bit different, our histories are a bit different.  More importantly, our
national characters are very different.  For all of our talk of freedom,
democracy and tolerance, we have some very quirky ways of showing it and
very quirky notions of what it is.  I love my country but there has always
been a layer of mistrust, racism and intolerance for anyone different
underlying our national character.  If this were not so, Donald Trump would
not be President.  Deep down, I don't think he is a racist or anti-Semite
or some other things we have accused him of ,but the fact remains, to get
elected he sought out the lowest common denominator and brought out the
worst in our national character.  Things that have always been laying close
to the surface - the 800 lb gorilla in the room that we have always refused
to acknowledge.  If I might use a term, the love that dare not utter its
name....

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
Love and kisses to all and a big bravo to Dimitri Hvorostovsky and his
great show of strength, and the love that has always flowed both ways
across the footlights.  As I said on Facebook this morning, you cannot
ignore the fact that this hideous disease has taken its toll on his voice,
but my God, he is a survivor.  I don't know what the outcome will be, no
one does,, but it was a show of love last night that one will rarely see in
a lifetime.  Dima, God Bless you and we all give you our love and wishes
for a total recovery.  VIVE  HVOROSTOVSKY.