Subject: Re: Rosenkavalier - Met 13 May 2017
From: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 May 2017 14:49:43 -0500

Sometimes (often) I wonder if I receive all of the messages from opera-l,
have there been no comments on yesterday’s Rosenkavalier? I enjoyed it
immensely especially the production. It might be argued that the production
might have taken away some ability to concentrate on the musical
elements.  Garanca’s
Octavian was a charming sexy teenager and one could understand why the
Marschallin was attracted to him. Fleming’s portrayal of the Marschallin
was excellent as was Morley’s Sophie.

There were so many little subtle elements in telling the story that gave
depth to the characters. One of my favorites was at the end of the opera as
the Maschallin was leaving the stage. As she left and took the arm of her
escort she looked at him suggesting that she had chosen her new lover.

The beauty of the production was perfect even the last act in the brothel.
My only reservation was that the paintings decorating the room were not
Viennese but late 19th century French paintings by Bouguereau. The small
audience where I see these performances laughed at the silly goings on in
this scene. Loved that the Madam was a transvestite and the transvestite
band. Were some of the elements too sophisticated for some audiences?

Musically I felt the final trio was a let down but the duet between Sophie
and Octavian was lovely.