Subject: Re: Viva La France
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 May 2017 18:11:34 +0000

Not sure about all the details, but the gist of it is definitely true. Macron studied for quite some time and want to prize at the Conservatory at Amiens. I am not sure at what level, and the vagueness of it perhaps suggest that he's not much of a performer, though he claims to play Bach, Schumann, Liszt and others. See for example here: http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2017/05/10/03004-20170510ARTFIG00290-johnny-rossini-la-grande-illusion-les-gouts-et-les-couleurs-d-emmanuel-macron.php

Certainly he is a very educated person, having done philosophy at a professional level with world-famous people in France We have to remember that France is a country where educated people have a more than passing knowledge of the arts and writing they care about. For most French intellos that tends to be a literature, but obviously Macron has some commitment to music.

It is difficult to know what to make of the fact that the other people on the list I cite above are popular singers. He could be trying to play down his intellectual and highbrow taste--after all, he ran a deliberately vague, centrist, "appeal to all people," campaign. Or perhaps his taste these days isn't that highbrow, post-conservatory. Perhaps some flak of his route some of the stuff on Rossini, which wouldn't be uncommon for politicians.

But there is nothing surprising about the fact that he health sophisticated, or relatively sophisticated, views about traditional arts. He is a member of the certified intellectual elite in a country where that really means something. For somebody of his background and education in France, this type of thing is normal.

Andrew Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ