Subject: Re: Viva La France
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 May 2017 09:23:06 -0400

The new President of France, Emmanuel Macron, said this when asked who his
favorite composer was....

I have a great admiration for Rossini. For me, he occupies an essential place in the
history of music. His freedom, his life and his genius have always impressed me.
He took the opera out of its yoke by offering a new freedom to the voice: he
completely reinvented lyrical singing. From Barbier to Voyage to Reims through
Cenerentola, he has created an irresistible style - but I am also sensitive to his
serious operas, such as Moses or Maometto II, which are given so rarely. In a very
different way, I give a special prize to Bach. It has been a big deal for me. His work
for keyboard (organ, harpsichord) and for cello is of a precision which does not
prevent the spiritual elevation, but so to speak favors it. I hear less a
mathematical coldness than a musical discourse carrying all the possible emotions.
Bach is a traveller between several worlds, indefinable and brilliant.

Next time I see him, I will asked him to join Opera-l. His English is certainly better
than our president's.

Frank Cadenhead