Subject: Re: Risky business
From: Bob Hadfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 11 May 2017 11:28:00 -0400

I like the term "destination performance."  I've been wondering what to call what
I've been doing now that I'm retired and have the time and where-with-all to
attend some particular performances in Europe.  I've had good luck with Kaufmann
both in London and Munich (Chenier.)  No problems with Harteros.  I made a trip
to Berlin (Deutsche Oper) built around Florez in Les Huguenots and had a ticket for
the first night. He did appear but was announced as "indisposed" and only able to
sing in half voice (I guess that's the phrase.)  It was a great disappointment and I
left afterwards wishing that he had cancelled.  A capable replacement singing in
full voice would have been far preferable to me.  The Deutsche Oper solution
though was better though than what I experienced at the Semper Oper in
Dresden,  Anne Schwanewilms cancelled as Arabella and was replaced by a
soprano standing at the far left side of the proscenium at a music stand and a non-
singing actress mouthing the words while performing the role on stage.  Very
awkward.