Subject: Re: Risky business
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 May 2017 23:52:10 -0500

Risky business indeed!  To book a "destination performance" involving Kaufmann, Florez, and Gheorghiu is like flirting with disaster.  I include Florez because he too has been known to cancel on several notable occasions, though not to the degree of Florez and Gheorghiu.  I've already despaired at the probability of their appearing in America again.  For an American to book a European opera trip which involves any of these three is like playing Russian roulette.   Many learned this lesson a generation or so ago when Pavarotti or
Caballe' were scheduled to sing.  It became a losing proposition, which is what it is today with Kaufmann, Gheorghiu and Kaufmann.

I may love them, but I certainly wouldn't trust them if I were spending big bucks to travel to Europe to see/hear them.   It's really very sad.

Any singer can be sick, but I think these three have, like Caballe and Pavarotti before them, pushed the envelope too far.