Subject: Re: Risky business
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 May 2017 20:06:17 -0700

They're human beings so this can always happen.

I was always surprised at how rarely Nilsson and Sutherland canceled. Caballé was notorious but she only canceled once when I had tickets.

The two performers who canceled the most performances for which I had tickets were soprano Julia Varady and pianist Martha Argerich. As you said, when they did show it made up for the other times.

I've so far been lucky with Kaufmann, Gheorghiu and even Harteros but, for me, Stoyanova is on track to catch up with Varady and Argerich.

Unfortunately, the days of surprise upgrades (like going to hear James King as Manrico and getting Domingo) seem long past.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone