Subject: Re: Met Gala
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 May 2017 08:35:57 -0400

It started out as though (at least to me over the airwaves), everyone was
rushing as if as if there were a fire and they had to get out fast.
(Beczala/Calleja, Opolais, etc.). It was stand and deliver. Nothing was
nuanced, so it seemed, like maybe they were directed to get in there, sing
it, and leave.
Then suddenly it began to warm up around Netrebko time and she was fine.
Highlight for me was the Handel Cornelia and Sesto duet with Blythe and
Daniels.
Kudos to Damrau who went for the high note in "Sempre libera" even
though it wasn't quite perfect -- but so what!  She tried it and for that I
give her a brava.
Grigolo was a strange mix for me. His "ah levee toi soleil" was done
beautifully but I felt his "e lucevan le stelle" was a strange rendering --
slow and unusual -- not in a good way.
The Meade/Fabiano "I Lombardi" was a success but why was that all he
was given to do?  Nothing on his own?  He must have been seething
inwardly.
It was fun counting the 9 highs of Camarena's "ah mes amis".
If I had to pick one who delighted me most, I'd have to say Joyce di
Donato. What a charmer.
But the cap of the evening, which brought instant tears of joy to me, was
the showing of Hvorostovsky -- and I didn't give a hoot whether
his "Cortigiani" was perfect or not. What an exciting moment.
This opera nutcase was very fulfilled with more than 5 hours of pure joy.
Bravi tutti.