Subject: Re: "My Vision For Opera"
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 May 2017 01:08:57 -0400

Jon,

>"But Mozart certainly was a majority voice. He was a white male. And
indeed, things haven't changed much in that regard.

But I thought that Mozart was a lower-class musician from the provinces
constantly fighting the upper-class Italians in Vienna.... Does that make
him a "minority" or not?

Yes, I know it's a silly argument in one way, but minority / majority plays
out differently in different times / places. And whichever way one goes I
don't think one can accuse Mozart of "white privilege" in 1786.