Subject: Re: Barbara Cook retiring
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 May 2017 23:26:22 -0700

I fell in love with her when I was 5. In 1959 my Dad bought a big console stereo and a set of new stereo LPs to play on it. One of them was the original cast of Music Man and I was enchanted by her voice - not as sweet sounding as Julie Andrews but a little more body and astringency in the sound, which I liked immensely.

The Andrews comparison came to mind as "Music Man" used the effect that had proved so compelling in "My Fair Lady" of having a virile male lead who could barely sing at all and mostly spoke the role pitted against a female lead who sang perfectly. Lerner/Loewe came back go that same well for "Camelot."

Later when I got to know opera, I felt there was something in Cook's timbre that had a slight and pleasant hint of Steber.

And, yes, she sang with the voice she had with no coloration, darkening, belting or other mannerisms.  An honest singer.

I was very disappointed that she didn't do the "Music Man" movie, particularly when Meredith Wilson had to rewrite one of my favorite songs, "My White Knight" into something else that Shirley Jones could sing.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone