Subject: Met 50th gala
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 May 2017 21:16:38 -0700

I attended the gala last night in what seemed mixture of taste of upcoming
season highlights and past performances. For me the most moving were
Calleja / Yoncheva's Boheme act I excerpts that sounded like golden age
singing and Rene Pape's Boris Godunov. I also enjoyed Meade / Fabiano's
passionate duet from I Lombardi with a beautiful violin solo by David Chan.

We thought and hoped Dmitri may show up and when he came on stage it was
very moving for the audience. He seemed a bit thinner and he sang mostly
hunched over but I think he was acting out the character.

The program opened with Domingo adorned with tricolor sash singing nemico
della patria ( maybe he meant "nemica" della patria to celebrate the French
election results?). His rendition doesn't make you forget Sherrill Milnes
whom we spotted near the entrance, handsome and beaming with smiles in
stylish vest.

The program dragged on over 5 hours and I could have done without the
Tempest, Werther, Don Carlo, Thais or Magic Flute.

Some notable absences of Met favorites were Radvanovsky, Alagna, Kaufmann,
Erwin Schrott and Abdrazakov (Florez was ill). I was so looking forward to
seeing Rolando Villazon but he disappeared from the roster.

Why wasn't Alagna there? I was very moved by his Cyrano on Saturday that I
wish I could have heard the letter scene again.

I did enjoy both of Netrebko's arias, the riveting Lady Macbeth vieni
t'affretta and un bel di which she sang in a beautiful black kimono with
colorful prints. If I recall correctly from her HD interview during Onegin,
this year she's adding Tosca, Aida, Andrea Chenier and Adriana Lecouvreur
to her rep (no mention of Butterfly)' Also wanted to mention that it was a
joy to watch Javier Camarena's genuinely appreciative, proud smile after
his spectacular mes amis.

Most of them sang in costumes (except Fleming and Domingo in Nozze/Thais)
with projected background of historical sets. The evening's fashion trend
sends to be the blondes going dark hair (Opolais, Garanca, Di Donato,
Damrau) leaving Netrebko and Graham as the only blonde in part 1 :) Garanca
looked stunning as Dalila, her future role at the Met. She sounded great
but the diction was mushy.

Some pieces that fizzled were Damrau's Violetta (it was "strano" indeed)
and Thais (there was an awkward silence after their singing ended and no
applauds while the two were waiting :)

Kirsten

Here are the program details:

West side story overture

Antony and Cleopatra "From Alexandria, this is the news" chorus

Chenier -Nemico della patra - Domingo

Luisa Miller - quando le sere al placido -
Beczala

Nozze - vedro mentre io sospiro - Michael Volle

Don Pasquale -pronto io son - Pretty Yende & Kwiecien

Tosca - Vissi d'Arte -Opolais

Boris Godunov - mad scene -Rene Pape

Boheme - gelida manina/mi chiamo Mimi - Calleja/Yoncheva

Rigoletto - Cortigiani - DMITRI!!!

Werther - laisse couler mes larmes -- Didonato

Zauberflöte - der Vogelfänger - Volle

Les Troyens - Nuit d'ivresse -Graham/Polenzani

Adriana Lecouvreur -acerba volutta, dolce tortura - Zajick

La fille du regiment - ah mes amis -Camarena

Macbeth - vieni t'affretta - Netrebko

 *** intermission ***

Tannhäuser - entrance of the guests chorus

Porgy and Bess -Bess you is my woman now - Eric Owens / Pretty Yende

Samson et Dalila - mom coeur s'ouvre à ta voix - Garanca

Don Carlo - Grand Inquisitor scene - James Morris / Günter Groissböck

Romeo et Juliette - Ah lève-toi soleil - Grigolo (originally scheduled
Florez was ill)

Traviata - sempre libera - Damrau

Giulio Cesare - son nata a lagrimar - Blythe / Daniels

Otello - Credo - Lucic

The Tempest - what was before - Leonard / Ben Bliss / Croft

Tosca - e lucevan le stelle - Grigolo

Nozze - porgi amor - Fleming

Thaïs - baigne d'eau tes mains et tes lèvres - Fleming /Domingo

I Lombardi - qual volutta trascorrere - Mead / Fabiano / Groissböck

Semiramide - bel raggio lusinghier - DiDonato

Butterfly - un bel dì - Netrebko

Aida - act 2 final scene - Latonia Moore / Zajick / Eyvazov / Lucic /
Morris / Vemic