Subject: "My Vision For Opera"
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 May 2017 23:23:11 -0400

Last week at Opera America's annual conference I saw this comment by Imani
Mosley, a musicologist and opera scholar.

>"They asked for our vision for opera. Here is mine. Opera -- to be
inclusive -- needs to abandon its adherence to structures of power, its
desire for beauty, and open itself to the multiplicities of human
experience. And program works by minority voices!!"

It's these sorts of comments that really wind me up. It is so tiresome:
throwing out the babies with the bathwater...

And does she really think that Mozart was a majority voice in 1786??