Subject: Re: Noteworthy Opera/Vocal Reissues
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 May 2017 00:03:13 -0500

If her 1954 "Chenier" is about "as good as it gets", I'd have to say that the "Norma broadcast from the same year (the previous March) is as BAD as it gets (though the December, 1944 Norma of ten years earlier is much better).  To me, Milanov's greatest role was the Forza Leonora, especially as heard on the November, 1952 broadcast with Tucker and Merrill.  There was something in the music of Forza that mated with her voice beautifully, and in that 1952 broadcast, which I own, she sounds fabulous.  The 1954 Chenier runs it a close second.  A pity that her three broadcast Gioconda broadcasts of the 1950s have Kurt Baum instead of Mario del Monaco or Richard Tucker.  Ditto for her "Trovatore" broadcasts.