Subject: Re: Was the disappearance of Meyerbeer on opera stages the canary in the mine?
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 May 2017 09:54:00 -0700

Well, I had written a long answer, but no need, here is all the information
one needs about Meyerbeer and the LOST style of French singing:

https://www.marstonrecords.com/collections/opera/products/meyerbeer1

Marston has produced a second volume in their invaluable series, which,
alas, is not available for streaming.  No one sings like that anymore. And
despite the optimism that performing Meyerbeer would mean that youngsters
would learn to sing that way, I'm afraid the same teachers will do what
they've always done at our conservatories, teach a kind of international
verismo with a layer of academic ornamentation (and this goes for the way
Handel, Mozart, and the Bel-Canto composers's music is sung) - it's all
modern, none of it is "authentic" in any sense, , it's all done with the
strict ministrations of a conductor, which is in many instances is an
incorrect. anachronism especially for the 18th Century music and earlier.
Just one example - Who sings head notes the way they were sung pre-Duprez?
There are more differences than can be cited in a simple blog post.

Nobody sings like Patti or Plancon or Melba or Battistini anymore (at least
not in the classical world, in many instances pop singers come closer). And
if they did, neither the conductors, nor the audiences would tolerate it.
It is what it is.

James Camner