Subject: Milanov's 1954 Norma
From: Charles Affron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 May 2017 10:54:14 -0400

I was among the fervent Milanovites in attendance at the matinee. It was
such a sad day for all of us, and for me, the first intimation that a
beloved diva was all too human after all. She was clearly not the soprano
of the Forza or Trovatore Leonora, much less the Gioconda. The fioriture
were labored, and until Act IV she was clearly fearful. Definitely not the
utterly assured Milanov of that previous fall. I date the spottiness of the
succeeding years from a loss of confidence during the Norma run.

Thebom was not scheduled for the broadcast. Barbieri, who was, cancelled
after the prima. Why? Does anyone know?

Charles Affron (who was also at the sublime Gioconda of December 1952:
MIlanov, Barbieri, Madeira, Del Monaco, Warren, Sieipi.