Subject: Reviews from the past
From: Lloyd William Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 May 2017 03:09:15 +0000

I listen often to broadcasts from the MET.  I enjoy them because they represent the “process" of opera productions. I find it is primarily the process of the productions that interests me.  The final product is, at best, nothing more than a reflection of the process that made the production what it is. Each production is also the victim of the whims and a reflection of the currents that infuse each production.  If the process of creating the production meets well the demands of the individual work being presented then the production will be the best it can be given the days events.

The individual singing of the lead singers is less important for me than the way they become the essence of their part in the production. That is not to say that I don’t relish the work of each singer and their display of great voices and wondrous understanding of the role but, in balance, it is their inclusion into the Opera, as an ultimate expression of the greatness of this epitome of the singing theatre art that interests me.

Lloyd W. Hanson
lloydwhanson.com<http://lloydwhanson.com>