Subject: Re: Noteworthy Opera/Vocal Reissues
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:53:49 -0500

Although not a gambling man, Bob, I’d bet that if you’d seen  del Monaco’s Canio you’d have become a true believer. When he sang it here back in the 50s the Tribune’s Claudia Cassidy, a quirky and difficult-to-please critic, gave him one of the finest reviews I’ve ever seen. It really was one of the great performances I’ve seen in my 65 years of opera-going. There was a prolonged silence at the end of “Vesti la giubba” while those of us in the audience caught our collective breath before applauding.

And I still consider his Chenier definitive. I know that many of you are fans of the “other two” big name tenors of the era but MDM owned this role for me. And I’m not even thinking about mentioning his Otello…

Kurt Youngmann

> On Apr 29, 2017, at 1:19 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I accept that you had to
> be there for Del Monaco, but I never was, and what I know
> from recordings is not what I want to hear very often

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so." - Robert A. Heinlein, science-fiction author

Modify your settings: