Subject: Re: Noteworthy Opera/Vocal Reissues
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:59:23 -0700

Personally, I'd like to see the Karajan/Tebaldi/Bergonzi Aida and the
Karajan Tebaldi/DelMonaco Otello included.  The Serafin/Tebaldi/Bergonzi
Butterfly and the Gavazzeni/Tebaldi/Del Monaco Fanciulla.  Its funny how
singers who were greatly celebrated in their day fall in the memories of
succeeding generations.  It almost seems if Tebaldi & Del Monaco are
footnotes these days, likewise Milanov.  Could all of their colleagues and
critics have been wrong?  I've met some of Milanov's colleagues who didn't
get along with her but I never met one who did not speak glowingly of her
vocal abilities.  To read critical writings these days both professional
and fan, you'd think she was an ordinary singer.  And, I am not blind, deaf
or dumb, personally I think she sang too long.  There was just too much
mileage in the heavy roles on the voice and she probably should have quit
8-10 years before she did.  Likewise Tebaldi was adored by many of her
colleagues, including Nilsson and Rysanek.  Where they wrong?  As for the
Tebaldi/Del Monaco/Karajan recordings, they are sonic miracles.  Anything
Karajan was involved with got the royal treatment.

I'm listening to the Dutchman.  The overture gave me goosebumps.  I think
they made the right decision with Nezet-Sequin.  A friend of mine who is
retired from the 1st violin section of the Met orchestra things likewise.
He said the key is whether with each revival he finds new things as Levine
did over the decades.  Personally, I think the Met will be in good hands.
Bravo Maestro...listening to the end of the first act now, so far, I'm a
happy camper:)  😁