Subject: Gluck operas
From: Gayla McDowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:36:43 +0000

I am just wondering why Gluck's Iphigenie en Aulide is so forgotten and neglected.  There is a lot of hoopla about his Iph en Tauride, even suggesting it is his finest opera, but I personally don't see much in it.  It has no ballet music and very little melody that is easy to remember.   Yet Iph en Aulide has a lot of familiar music (most of it ballet music), some of which was familiar to me even before I heard the opera for the first time.  For many years there was only the Gardiner recording, which omits most of the ballet music. But now we have the 2002 Glyndebourne performance, which is complete as far as I can tell and has all that familiar ballet music (although this is only available on pirated recordings). This has become one of my favorite operas and I listen to it more than any others, although I have recordings of over 1,000 different operas.  Does anyone else agree with me?  Try out this 2002 Glyndebourne recording and see if you agree with me.Gayla McDowell