Subject: Vancouver Opera Festival
From: Pattie Kealy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 30 Apr 2017 19:05:00 -0400

Greetings, all

On April 28th, Vancouver Opera kicked off its first VOF -- Vancouver Opera
Festival. They're doing three operas in rotation, enabling patrons to see all three
operas in three days (four performances each of Otello, Dead Man Walking, and
Marriage of Figaro), followed by eight additional performances of Figaro. The first
two operas are presented in the large Queen Elizabeth Theatre, and the Figaros
are in the much smaller Playhouse next door.

We enjoyed an excellent Otello on the 28th, starring Antonello Palombi, Erin Wall,
and Gregory Dahl. You may remember Palombi, who was the tenor who was
shoved from the wings onto the stage at La Scala a few years ago when Alagna left
the theatre in a huff after getting some boos after the Triumphal Scene. (He didn't
have time to get into costume and was dressed in a tee-shirt and jeans.) We've
seen him in Seattle four times since then and were glad to see him here. The
performance really clicked along, the singing was excellent, and the audience was
very enthusiastic.

On the 29th, we had Dead Man Walking, first time in Vancouver, starring Daniel
Okulitch, J'nai Bridges, and Judith Forst (as Joseph de Rocher's mother). To my
surprise (because contemporary operas don't always sell that well), it was sold out
and the audience gave it a long and loud ovation. Again, a wonderful achievement
for everyone involved. Both these operas were conducted by our maestro,
Jonathan Darlington. It's a powerful evening of opera/theatre. There were
subtitles, but one could understand almost every word without looking at the titles.
I've always thought that Daniel Okulitch seems like such a nice, clean-cut guy.
Well, you'd never think that if you saw him only in this role! Great performance!

A special note about Dead Man Walking: both the composer, Jake Heggie, and
Sister Helen Préjean attended and joined the cast and production team for bows!

We'll miss Marriage of Figaro because of travel plans.

The VOA has organized a number of activities and shows in connection to the

Spring seems to have come to Vancouver at last, so if you're tempted, come on up
(or down) after checking

All the best, Pattie Kealy

Modify your settings: