Subject: Re: Noteworthy Opera/Vocal Reissues
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 30 Apr 2017 16:59:12 -0400

Bob Rideout wrote:

"Late Santuzzas and Toscas were horrifying, but I have a sense
that they were not that much different from her prime - the
Tosca recording is a mess..."

Well, I like the Tosca recording, although I wouldn't say it was my favorite.  (The first Callas
recording and the 1956 Tebaldi broadcast tie for top slot, for me.)  Milanov's Tosca is great in
the live Covent Garden performance with Corelli.  But on the recording, her "I-Vhant-To-Be-
Alone!" delivery of "Voglio vederlo!" is a hoot.

Of all Milanov's roles, even those in her prime, the one I like her in best is Maddalena in
"Andrea Chenier."  The part fit her voice to a T and she really identified with the character and
the dramatic situation.  The 1954 matinee performance with Del Monaco and Warren is one of
the great broadcasts in Met history:  three powerful man-'o-wars steaming up the channel.
Really great stuff.

MDW