Subject: Gremin/Gremina
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 30 Apr 2017 03:28:30 +0000

 Hi Angelo
In the Russian text they indeed call her "Knjaginja [Princess] Gremina" at that point. And after all, her mother is Mme. Larina, not Mme. Larin.

There is a line of thinking, to me more than a bit pedantic, that would translate Russian female surnames ( not necessarily of actual people but of characters) without the feminine endings, since we don't have such in English. Thus Penguin  Classics issued a volume entitled ANNA KARENIN in 1978. Have never liked that locution, nor would I wish the leading female part in THE SEAGULL to be "Mme. Arkadin" rather than "Mme. Arkadina", or Shostakovich's revised masterpiece to be called KATERINA ISMAILOV,  which would follow the same principle.
Cheers - David

Angelo wrote:
BTW, shouldn't she be referred to by the choristers in Act 3, Scene 1
as Gremina, not Gremin?  Or am I being a bit fussy?

Angelo from Boston

Modify your settings: