Subject: Re: Fliegende Hollander from the Met today
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Apr 2017 18:27:07 -0400

I enjoyed today's broadcast just as I did the prima a few days ago.

Nezet-Seguin seems to inspire the orchestra, chorus and soloists

to give 100% to every performance he conducts.  I especially liked

Wagner today.  She has a fullness of tone that reminds me of a young

Helen Traubel without of course the organ-like richness of Helen's

low range but with a freedom at the higher end of the vocal range

that Helen lost early in her career.  I was impressed by Volle ,even

more so than his Mandryka in his debut season.  Nezet-Seguin has

a bigger challenge next season with Elektra and Parsifal.  The latter

he will conduct for the first time in August in Quebec.

On Thursday I saw the Onegin at an encore here in nearby Burlington.

The production looks just as bad as I did when I saw it in the house

with Mattei and Poplavskaya.  For a wealthy family with a country

estate they sure know how to do drab.  The only successful scene

visually was Act 2, Scene 2.  The pillars in Act 3 were in the way and

the choreographed Gremin aria was embarrassing, although not as

embarrassing as the notorious kiss.  The previous Onegin staging by

Carsen worked better.  And this has nothing to do with preferring an

old staging just because it is gone now.

BTW, shouldn't she be referred to by the choristers in Act 3, Scene 1

as Gremina, not Gremin?  Or am I being a bit fussy?

Angelo from Boston