Subject: Re: Noteworthy Opera/Vocal Reissues
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Apr 2017 15:40:35 -0500

Don:

     There is a lot that you say here that is rather true.   There were, of course, many spectacular and wonderful singers over the last seventy years, yet there are so few who stand out in bold relief or as reference points.  Caruso (though he already dates back over a hundred years), is certainly among them.  Callas is another; Flagstad yet another.  All three of them seem to refuse to be forgotten, for a variety of respective reasons.   With Caruso and Flagstad, it was their voices (in the view of many never equaled).  With Callas, it was other gifts that were denied to all others.  But that does not make other great singers chopped liver either.  None of them were "ordinary singers".  They were the foremost singers of their time.   Still, these three seem to have had something that make them as legendary as Rubini, Pasta, Lilli Lehmann, Malibran, and possibly a scant few others.

     I might be tempted to add Lauritz Melchior to the list along with Lotte Lehmann, and in certain instances, Jon Vickers.  Of course there will be disagreements and that's OK, but these are only my opinions and I'm only one person, so what do I know?