Subject: Re: Fliegende Hollander from the Met today
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Apr 2017 16:38:39 -0400

Indeed, Bob.

A few more words of praise for Nezet-Seguin... I heard him live in OTELLO
and then later in HD where the audio balance favored singers over
orchestra-- regrettably, because it was the most inspired conducting I've
heard in this opera. I was thrilled that today's HOLLANDER broadcast did
full justice to both orchestra and singers, and what tremendous conducting
that was! Electrifying, unbelievably intense, yet not missing on the
subtlety of more tender moments. Pure poetry in music-making. And almost
perfect orchestra playing (had it not been for a couple of brass hick-ups
that briefly went astray on their own).

There are a few Sentas that I admire from the old recordings,-- Rysanek
above all, and Amber Wagner surely joins them with her performance today.

I wasn't as thrilled with the rest of the cast, thought them a bit subpar
in comparison to Nezet-Seguin's conducting and A. Wagner's Senta, but they
still ranged from good to more than just good, making this an enjoyable
afternoon with the Met and one of my favorite Wagner operas (right behind
TANNHAUSER).

Best, Vesna