Subject: I took two opera newbies to the opera
From: "SUBSCRIBE OPERA-L Vince C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Apr 2017 02:38:47 -0400

I took two people to see La traviata on Saturday.  I paid for the tickets.  Both were
female.  One is around my age (33), white, and a lawyer, the other is a few years
younger than me, black, and a former pop singer.  I've known the lawyer since middle
school.  The former pop singer is a friend from work.  The lawyer had been to the opera
once before, years ago when a boy took her to the opera to impress her.  The former pop
singer had never been to the opera before.  It was my first time going to the opera not
by myself.  I arrived at the theater with the white one and we took the backstage tour at
5:30 PM and attended the pre-opera lecture at 6 PM.  The black one couldn't arrive earlier
because her seven year-old son couldn't be dropped off with her ex until after 6 PM.
After the lecture, which ended at 6:30 PM, I went outside the theater to wait for her next
to the fountain.  She took a long time to arrive.  The guy with the bell started ringing the
bell which meant the performance was about to start (7 PM).  I saw her running towards
the theater.  We made it inside just in time.  I later learned that her son's father had
taken an extra shift at work so he couldn't take her son that night.  She had to scramble
to get someone to babysit her son.  She got her mother to babysit but she had to drive all
the way to Mira Mesa because that's where her mother lives.  Then she had to drive all
the way to downtown.  During the performance, she commented that she recognized the
music from Pretty Woman.  She was amazed at Corinne Winters' breathing diaphragm
during the loud parts.  She said the "Dite alla giovane" was her favorite part of the duet
between Violetta and Père Germont.  She rose to her feet at the end of the duet and
started screaming approval at the singers.  She had to leave at the second intermission
to pick up her son.  She missed the last part of the opera.

Last November, I bought three tickets and invited two people from work.  Both said they
were interested in going.  One of them got another job and had a Saturday shift (he's 24
years old).  He got off work to attend Coachella the weekend of April 15/16.  His
supervisor would not let him take off another weekend to attend the opera.  I asked the
other friend if she knew anyone who wanted to go.  She said no.  This was very early
Saturday, April 22.  I had to scramble to find someone to go.  I contacted a Facebook
friend.  She said she had plans to eat dinner with a friend that night (they had been
planning to eat dinner together for some time) but she would call her friend at 10 AM, her
friend's work break, to ask if she could cancel dinner to attend the opera.  Her friend said
yes.