Subject: Re: Noteworthy Opera/Vocal Reissues
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 22:30:25 -0500

It's truly a miracle that Kirsten Flagstad, at age 62, could produce the sheer grandeur and beauty of sound that she brings to those London/Decca recordings of Walkure Act I and Act III.   In 1957, the Act I Sieglinde and and Act III Brunnhilde were still vocally viable for her (the uppermost note in both is a top A above the stave), and if her Sieglinde sounds perhaps a bit "mature", the majesty of her voice more than offsets this.   Anyone interested in great Wagnerian singing should own these two acts of Walkure as well as the beautiful

album of her Sibelius Songs which were recorded two years later in 1959.  The voice was a miracle and she probably took it with her when she departed this world in 1962.