Subject: Katya at Juilliard
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 22:41:46 -0400

I saw the opera on Sunday. Of course the orchestra were students. And the performers. They all did credit to the piece. I think theirproduction was great.
The translation by Yvette Synek Graf was excellent.

Frankly I thought the Czech delineated the qualities of the Katya/Boris dyad from the rest of the people, as their music was more lyric and the others were more everyday conversational. But intelligibility of English was a plus.

Janacek was an ethnomusicologist and toured the provinces jotting down conversations In musical notation to give his singing compositions a faithfulness of utterance to spoken language.

Still an interesting piece though I am not hopelessly in love with it, even after singing it.

I enjoyed it. We all should see more at smaller companies.

RP

Sent from my iPhone