Subject: Re: Met's Gold Curtain
From: Alan Ruskis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 19:11:18 -0400

The MET posses what I believe is the largest "Wagner curtain" in the
world.  This type of curtain, one of 2 "gold curtains" was designed by RW
for the theater at Bayreuth.  His desire was to have a curtain that could
bring an act to a sudden close.  The traditional guillotine type of curtain
(with sandbag counterweights) could not be pulled quickly and then stop.
This design, with the intrinsic drawstring, could be let go and flop quickly to
close without any unintended consequences.  It is the only curtain I have
ever seen used at Bayreuth.  I can only imagine it was the first act of
Walkeure that prompted the design. The MET also has a traditional gold
guillotine type curtain.  That one can pulled to the very top out of view,
and has allowed some awesomely tall productions in the past.  I recall
Aida, a few vintages ago.