Subject: Re: Met's Gold Curtain
From: Rcfgodoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:10:17 -0400

I tend not to like it when the Gold curtain is absent, whether in house or HD/TV showings, but will recognize that some productions do benefit from a show curtain, or lack thereof.  I want at least one more revival of Frau with the mylar grid "curtain" and all, because it works; the production uses the stage from front to back, side-to-side, top to bottom.  Then again, what I really want is a video of it, but we'll see.  The previous Elektra production, black curtain with the splash of blood was part of the set, in a way; and the swan's feather in the Wilson Lohengrin also had a "charm" when present.

I wouldn't want the Ring-machine and the Gold Curtain at the same time.  But some of the production that just use a black curtain wouldn't have looked odd with the GC, unfortunately it may be part of the contract with the directors/set designers in not having a detraction from their oh so ingenious production.  Wouldn't surprise me if that, or that since the production from ____ (insert other opera company name) didn't have a gold curtain, why should the Met use one??

Thank you for the time for a mini-rant.