Subject: Student research topic - folk music and nationalism
From: Bradley Wilber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 18:48:30 +0000

Hi, everyone,

I'm helping a music major put together a proposal for a senior-capstone paper next year.  My role is to help her with a preliminary lit. review...proof that an adequate breadth of sources is available.  I feel like I've hit on some fruitful search terms and materials but not yet perhaps the mother lode.  I'm asking if anybody knows of great monographs or articles on any of her interests:

--the use of folk tunes in "standard" repertoire & the rise of nationalism / national identity

--war songs, both populist and propagandist, linguistic comparisons

--tendency / validity of ascribing "typical" characteristics to music from a certain country

I think she has a particular interest in Russian music but I'm sure she would appreciate all good examples.  She is a singer minoring in linguistics so I think discussion of vocal music would also especially please her.

If a lot of stuff comes into me privately I'll do a compilation for the list.

Thanks!
Brad Wilber