Subject: Re: Serious Question
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 16:46:25 +0000

The time at which absolute pitch manifests varies, and it may lay dormant for a period of time-so you could have developed the latent capacity but not know it for years. That is different than the early exposure needed to get it to "stick." On the latter point, there is experimental and statistical evidence in the literature that exposure to tonal languages (hence absolute pitch is higher in East Asia), music or other tonal phenomena in early to mid-childhood, i.e. pre-adolescence, is necessary, as that is the "critical period" for brain development of hearing. In fact, almost all human beings have some capacity for pitch recognition and some have an approximate sense of absolute pitch, but the real thing is clearly distinct.

Andrew Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ